Pages

Tuesday 7 September 2010

vegan with a punch: spicy japchae

I've been buying all sorts of things at the Korean grocery lately, and one of my recent purchases is dangmyeon, a type of cellophane noodle made from sweet potato starch. I'm familiar with rice vermicelli and bean thread noodles, but dangmyeon is pretty foreign to me, so I thought it would be fun to give it a whirl.

dangmyeon

As a shout out to my vegetarian friends, and after looking at various recipes for ideas, I decided to make a vegan dinner out of the dangmyeon, my version of the Korean japchae. After preparing the dangmyeon according to the packet instructions, I added kimchi, steamed silken tofu, fresh cucumber, soy sauce and sesame oil.

spicy vegan japchae

Toss, and it's ready to eat! The dangmyeon had a nice slippery texture with a bit of a bite - I think it has the potential to be pretty versatile and I will be using it in soups, salads and stir-fries.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    We received a request from Urbanspoon user "theindolentcook" (theindolentcook@gmail.con) claiming that they are the author of this blog. I'm writing to verify that this is the case and that you want to allow theindolentcook to manage your blog on Urbanspoon.

    You can visit the Urbanspoon page for the indolent cook here:
    http://www.urbanspoon.com/br/71/3280/Melbourne/the-indolent-cook.html

    Please reply to greg[at]urbanspoon[dot]com and let me know whether or not we should approve this claim.

    Thanks!
    Greg

    www.urbanspoon.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Greg, you may approve the claim. I've also sent you an e-mail. Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails