Pages

Saturday 18 September 2010

cruzao arepa bar, fitzroy: venezuelan charm

cruzao arepa bar

The first time I went to Cruzao Arepa Bar for their Venezuelan-style arepa (corn bread) offerings was in early August, when it was a young business of only a few days old. I had the chorizo arepa while Simon had the slow cooked black beans and feta cheese. Both were cooked to perfection; the corn bread had a lovely texture and the fillings were tasty. (Note: It made a good snack or a light meal, but someone a little hungrier will probably want to supplement their arepa with other items from the menu.) I also tried papelón con limón, a sugar cane drink which is different to the Southeast Asian version I'm used to, but nice and refreshing in its own way.

The second time I popped by for a takeaway by myself, and opted for the roast pork leg in garlic and red wine. I was kindly treated to more papelón con limón and complimentary tequeños (crispy cheese sticks) while I waited. The tequeños, oozing with warm cheesy goodness, tasted, to me, like a savoury version of churros, and were very good. I also noticed they now had $12 weekday lunch specials which consisted of soup, arepa and dessert, and vowed to return for that.

So here I am again with Simon, and this time I have a camera and a blog. (Insert evil laughter of choice.) Unfortunately, they had now swapped the dessert in the lunch special for a coffee or tea, darn it! I was too late, but the new deal is still pretty good.

We start off with the cruzao, which is a meat and vegetable soup. It is served with coriander to add as you wish, and a piece of a corn on a stick. It's a comforting soup that reminds me of something that would have been simmering away at the stove for an hour at home.

cruzao

I had the shredded chicken and avocado arepa this time.

arepa - shredded chicken and avocado with mayonnaise

Simon liked the black bean and feta arepa last time and he's sticking to it. I can understand why. We both rate this and the chorizo one our favourite arepas so far.

arepa - slow cooked black beans with feta cheese
Service here moves at a relaxed pace; the food is simple and down-to-earth. I may have a bias as I have a fondness for South American culture, but I like Cruzao Arepa Bar. Next time, I'll be trying their desserts!

Update: Have been back a couple times since - still haven't gotten around to their desserts! But the Fresca salad and the llanera arepa are my new loves.

Cruzao Arepa Bar on Urbanspoon

8 comments:

  1. YUMMY! I think I shall refrain from reading your blog at 12am. I'm itching to eat food now. XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! Both of those arepas sound delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at that juicy fat corn kernel :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cruzao arepa bar desserts rock!! They have one that tastes a lot like creme caramel but is actually made from pumpkin. You won't regret it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tip! I'm sure I'll try them all eventually. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to go there!! thx for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I am a huge arepa fan and these look fantastic! I will have to check it out next time I'm in Melbourne.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails