Pages

Wednesday 1 September 2010

kangaroo, a companion for giardiniera

As a lazy cook, one of the great things about trying new ingredients is that it adds interest and variety to my meals without too much additional effort. A few weeks ago, I picked up a jar of giardiniera (Italian pickled vegetables) at the grocery store, marked down to $1.

opened jar of giardiniera




Apparently they are usually served as an antipasto or as a condiment on beef sandwiches, but I thought I'd try them with something else I've been eyeing off for awhile now at the supermarket...

kangaroo mini-roasts

These kangaroo mini-roasts had already been flavoured with herb and garlic, but I took the liberty of adding red chillies and red onions. As you can see, I scattered the chilli seeds over the mini-roasts for extra spiciness. :D

Then it's the usual drizzle of olive oil, and into the oven they go...

Approximately 40 minutes later, after doing their time in the oven and resting for awhile, I roughly sliced my kangaroo mini-roast up and was happy to see that they came out medium as I had hoped. The onions were soft, and the chilli added a nice kick.

my attempts at making an easy meal look sophisticated










Finally, the pairing of kangaroo and giardiniera actually went quite well together. The total cost of ingredients came to $8.50 and this yielded two servings, so for a $4.25 dinner that didn't require a lot of work, it was not bad at all!

Ingredients:

2 kangaroo mini-roasts, seasoned with garlic and herbs
1 red onion
1 red chilli
1 jar of giardiniera
1 tablespoon of olive oil

another view

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails