Pages

Friday 3 September 2010

a taste of the forest: chanterelles for breakfast

barn-laid eggs, ficelle and chanterelles




Today is my day off, and I have been lusting after the truffles at The Vegetable Connection for awhile now, so I decided to pay them a visit this morning for some truffle goodness. Unfortunately, when I got there, I was informed that they had all sold out. They did, however, still have some fresh wild chanterelle mushrooms from France, which at a whopping $120/kg don't come cheap, so I bought a modest 50 grams. On the way back, I popped by Babka for a ficelle, which is like a baguette but thinner.

As I had never used chanterelles before, I decided to keep it simple, so I made omelettes.

the finished product

Ingredients:
50g chanterelles, sliced
4 eggs (I used eggs that were 50g each, so 200g total)
1 tablespoon pure cream
knob of butter
ficelle
fresh slices of lemon
salt and pepper to taste

- whisk eggs and cream in a bowl, set aside.
- add butter and chanterelles to a pan, cook till chanterelles are slightly soft but still firm, set aside.
- add more butter to the pan, and start on the omelettes.

- omelette #1: I poured half the egg mixture into the pan, waited till it was nearly done, added half of the chanterelles, and folded.

- omelette #2: I poured the rest of the egg mixture into the pan, and while the mixture was still semi-fluid, I scattered the remaining chanterelles on top. After the chanterelles sank in a little and were secured into the body of the omelette, I flipped it over.

- add salt, pepper and lemon juice to taste
- serve with sliced ficelle

chanterelle omelette #1, resting on a plate

chanterelle omelette #2, perched on a fork

I  loved the chanterelles! They had a gorgeous earthy flavour, and the simplicity of the dish suited them very well. I was happy with both the omelettes, but for me, the first one was much better as the lovely taste of the buttered-up chanterelles was more distinct. And in the end, this luxurious breakfast ended up costing less than, say, if we'd gone for eggs benedict at a cafe - it did take a little more time and effort, but with ingredients this good, I say it's worth it.

2 comments:

  1. Oregon chanterelles would be way cheaper, and in my opinion, better.
    I'm frying some chanterelles that I picked yesterday for breakfast this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They only appear in the shops here in Australia once in a while - sometimes you have to take what you can get. Lucky you being able to pick them fresh for yourself. :)

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails