Pages

Thursday 26 March 2015

tahini-lime pistachio plum zucchini salad

Tahini-lime pistachio plum zucchini salad.

Now that I live in an area with an affordable farmers' market, I have been lavishly buying fruits every weekend. All through summer, and spilling into autumn, I have been snapping up peaches, nectarines and plums when I catch them at two dollars a bucket. The plums, in particular, frequently appear in different varieties - I don't know if I have a favorite, and if they're all cheap, I just play mix-and-match.

It is not often that you see plums in a savoury salad, but while I was peeling zucchini one day, I looked over at my assortment of gorgeous plums sitting on the kitchen counter and I thought - why not?

Why not, indeed. I'm proud of this salad. The plum slices went prettily with the zucchini strips, and they tasted great, too - a sweet, tangy counterpoint to the plainer zucchini. Pistachio nuts add a bit of crunch, and the creamy-yet-refreshing tahini-lime dressing pulls everything together for the final satisfying touch.

tahini-lime pistachio plum zucchini salad

1 medium zucchini
2 plums
1/4 cup pistachio nuts
1 tablespoon tahini
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 tablespoon lime juice (add some zest too, if you like)
1/4 teaspoon each of salt and freshly cracked black pepper, or to taste

Use a peeler to peel the zucchini flesh. Aim to achieve nice, fettucine-like strips.
Slice the plums into bite-sized pieces. If you use two different types of plums, it can add more interest or color to the salad, but this is not necessary.
Toast and chop the pistachio nuts if you're not feeling lazy. I was, so I just used them whole. Shhh.
Place the zucchini, plums and pistachios in the same bowl. Stir in tahini, olive oil, lime juice, salt and pepper. Make sure that you thoroughly combine all the ingredients. Adjust seasonings if necessary.
Cover the salad and chill it in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to mingle and dance together, then give it another stir just before serving.

Zucchini and plum salad, studded with pistachios and tossed through a lime and tahini dressing.

11 comments:

  1. I think plums are underrated. The best green curry I ever had was duck and little green plums.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - I love a good plum! Little plums in green curry sound intriguing, and I can definitely imagine it working well.

      Delete
  2. This looks amazing! One of my favorite salads had plums and blanched green beans. I'll have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like it, so I hope you do give it a try! :)

      Delete
  3. This salad sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I would have never thought to put that combination of ingredients together but it looks so delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a rather unusual combination but it does work well and I'm so pleased with it. :D

      Delete
  5. what a neato combination. two dollars for a whole bucket of fruit? yes please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Admittedly, they were small buckets, but the fruits still typically amount to more than 1 kg per bucket (over 2 pounds), which is very affordable by Australian standards.

      Delete
    2. Heck, two dollars for anything is a good deal!

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails