Pages

Wednesday 10 April 2013

hammer and tong, fitzroy

hammer and tong brunch menu.

Fried chicken wings and soft drinks for brunch?

Yeah, that's the sort of thing you can get at Hammer & Tong (412 Brunswick St, Fitzroy).

Simon and I don't normally have carbonated beverages first thing in the morning, but we can be unorthodox once in a while. And, as it turns out, the housemade fizzes at Hammer & Tong are pretty nice - just a light hint of sweetness, which makes it refreshing and a not-so-unhealthy start to the day. Tropicana strikes us as predominantly passion fruit, with hints of pineapple and citrus. Turkish Delight is gentle, floral, rosy, with specks of vanilla.

hammer and tong housemade fizzes, tropicana (left) and turkish delight (right). $3 each.

It seems that our cafe brunches almost invariably includes a baked egg dish. At Hammer & Tong, the eggs are suspended in a tomato fondue, shakshuka-like, with addictive bites of manchego strewn through... please, sir, can I have more of that delicious cheese? On the side we have chorizo and flatbread to complete the picture.

hammer and tong baked eggs in tomato fondue, chorizo, manchego and flatbread. $17.

Then we have the fried chicken wings - nicely done, not too greasy, sweet and sticky in a gotta-eat-with-your-hands-and-lick-your-fingers kind of way. The chilli and crispy fried shallots hint at Asian inspiration, while the mango and pink grapefruit add an extra dimension of juiciness. It was only later, after we left the restaurant, that I realised that our plate didn't seem like it included avocado, as promised in the menu description. Still, it's an oversight I can forgive, all things considered.

hammer and tong fried chicken wings with mango, grapefruit, candied chillies, crisp shallots, avocado and lime. $15.

Hammer & Tong is ridiculously close and convenient for us and I hope to return again soon with Simon. We haven't had much in the way of eating out adventures lately (as you can probably tell from the lack of cafe/restaurant posts in this blog) in an effort to be more frugal - but I would really like to try their truffled duck egg, corn fritters, soft shell crab burger and popping candy pancakes, all of which seem to be fast gaining an excellent reputation. Hopefully my next visit won't be too far in the future.

Hammer and Tong 412 on Urbanspoon

26 comments:

  1. Those eggs look divine. What a great cafe to have nearby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're pretty good - we're really spoilt for choice in terms of baked eggs in Fitzroy!

      Delete
  2. TURKISH DELIGHT SODA YES. And I'm not really a soft drink person either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't often get soft drinks too, but these were nice and not too sweet. :)

      Delete
  3. I've been hearing so much about Hammer and Tong - it looks so good! I'd definitely want that baked egg dish. All the cheese! And those mini chorizo are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was actually more tempted by other items on the menu (like the corn fritters or soft shell crab burger), but Simon really wanted the baked eggs. But it did turn out to be tasty, so all good!

      Delete
  4. I've been wanting to visit here for the popping candy pancakes although the chicken wings look fab!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm intrigued by the popping candy pancakes too. Next time perhaps! The chicken wings have that Asian fusion thing going on, very tasty.

      Delete
  5. I've been told the crowds and line is getting a bit ridiculous on the weekends? mmmm can't wait to return!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't noticed, but I'll have to keep an eye out for that! Oh and they've started serving dinner on some nights now, too.

      Delete
  6. Definitely go back for the truffled duck egg, and let us know if it's as good as it sounds!

    ReplyDelete
  7. AHHHH fizzy turkish delight! gotta get myself there real soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite a light and subtle drink, but very refreshing!

      Delete
  8. I absolutely loved Hammer and Tong when I visited, missed the fried chicken wings though, they look delish here! Will have to get back here soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness, popping candy pancakes sound like the Willy Wonka of breakfast foods! How very exciting.

    Looks like a lovely brunch; definitely a different direction than I would think to take first thing in the a.m., though I would not be averse to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to try those popping candy pancakes. I generally don't feel like sweet things for brunch, but as long as we get one savoury dish then we can follow it up with dessert... :D

      Delete
  10. OMG i wanna gooooo! Those fizzy drinks sound great too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm generally hesitant about baked eggs ... I too often see them with clear goop still showing ... but those look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the baked eggs I've had in Fitzroy so far have been pretty good! :)

      Delete
  12. Hammer and tong is just the way I like to approach breakfast, especially on weekends. Those baked eggs are singing my song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many items on their menu that I reckon would be singing all manners of tasty songs. ;)

      Delete
  13. Those chicken wings look awesome ... thanks for the tip. Will add Hammer and Tong to my "to eat at" list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get around to it. My list is never-ending and ever-growing... :p

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails