Pages

Thursday 14 March 2013

mix 'n' match summer ceviche

A summer ceviche, made with odds and ends from the kitchen.

Okay, so I know it's not really summer in Australia anymore... but this is a nice, simple little ceviche that I made some weeks ago that I didn't get around to posting earlier. The main ingredients for creating a tasty ceviche, as far as I'm concerned, are the fish, lime, red onion and chilli components, and all other fruits and vegetables I'd say are negotiable, making this quite a versatile recipe. So feel free to experiment with what's in season, whatever fruits and vegetables you have begging to be used - those that your instincts tell you may go well in this tangy seafood dish. The mix-and-match method was how this ceviche came about for me, after all!

mix 'n' match versatile summer ceviche recipe
(serves 2 as a main, up to 6 as an appetizer)

300g / 2/3lb fresh, mild white fish (e.g. rockling, snapper), skin removed, cut into cubes
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
1 small red chilli, thinly sliced
1/3 - 1/2 cup lime juice (approximately 4 - 5 limes) - enough to generously marinate all above ingredients
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 small stalk celery*, chopped
1 nectarine*, cut into cubes
a bit of chopped mint or coriander/cilantro, if you have it (I didn't... )

Additional: coconut cream, to serve.

*Instead of celery, you may also consider cucumber, fennel, radish, and avocado, to name a few. 
*Instead of nectarine, you may also consider other stone fruit e.g. peach, apricot, plum; or melon fruit e.g. honeydew, rockmelon/cantaloupe, watermelon; and how about grapes, strawberries, or corn?

Thoroughly mix fish, red onion, chilli, lime juice and salt together in a glass bowl. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
Just before serving, toss through the celery and nectarine or other vegetable/fruit, and the herbs if using. Season with more salt if desired.
Add a dollop of coconut cream on top, if you like, for a smooth creaminess to help balance out the acidity.
Enjoy!

A mix 'n' match, odds 'n' ends ceviche!

20 comments:

  1. Good idea, in this part of the planet we are welcoming the spring ;-) ceviche is on the list!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've wanted to make ceviche for so long, but I've always been wary of getting quality seafood in non-coastal Canberra. And now I have no income and am living on dried legumes, but... this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you could seek out fishmongers who sell sushi-quality fish, just to be safe. Hopefully you get some income soon! x

      Delete
  3. Hmmm, I wonder what a winter ceviche might look like? We're still getting snow up here:/ I bet it would look good, as does this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmmmm, winter ceviche... I'm thinking fennel and blood orange could be pretty killer. :)

      Delete
  4. I love ceviche! Never mind summer is over.. someone forgot to tell Melbourne that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Though as of today it certainly appears autumn has finally snuck in! But still a few sporadic warm sunny days to look forward to, according to the forecast. :)

      Delete
  5. OOO how fresh :) I have a seafood exam at TAFE tomorrow so I'm taking in all the seafood info that I can wrap my brain around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, my parents always tell me that seafood = brain food. :)

      Delete
  6. Yum! I will still eat it during all season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I'll see if I can make ceviche for all seasons. ;)

      Delete
  7. Is it already past summer in Australia? You know that can only mean one thing to this Canadian... YAY!! Summer is on its way here!! :). I bet you are still getting lovely temps this time of year and this fresh and tasty ceviche would absolutely hit the spot. I like the use of the mild fish in tandem with the chili/lime - sounds delicious to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, in early autumn now. We're gradually sensing the transition, today is just gloriously sunny and warm, though.

      Delete
  8. This salad looks absolutely incredible! I love the idea of all those fresh flavours together!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this ceviche - it's so unique. I've never thought of adding celery before, but it's the perfect idea - so crunchy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails