Pages

Sunday 6 March 2011

a rustic carrot onion omelette

an easy carrot and onion omelette.

I know, I know. This is but a mere vegetable omelette. And so simple, you probably don't even need the recipe. Still, this homely dish, with its effortlessly natural mix of sweet and savoury, never fails to put a smile on my face. My mum tends to serve this carrot onion omelette with rice or congee for lunch or dinner, but you can easily adopt it as a breakfast omelette as well. Back home in Malaysia, I always reach for my share of this omelette eagerly when mum puts it on the family dining table, so today I'm sharing it with you.

carrot onion omelette

1 small carrot
1 small onion
4 large eggs
1/4 teaspoon salt
oil, for frying
soy sauce and pepper, to taste

- Julienne carrot and onion, or just slice them into similarly sized strips.
- Lightly whisk the eggs and salt in a bowl with a fork.
- Continue along the following steps, either using all the mixture to make one big omelette, or dividing into batches to make 2 - 4 smaller omelettes.
- In a frying pan, sauté carrot and onion in a little oil for 3 - 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Spread the carrot and onion pieces evenly across the pan.
- Pour the egg mixture over the carrots and onions, swirl to coat the pan more evenly.
- Fry for 2 or 3 minutes until set, then flip over and continue to cook for 1 minute.
- Serve carrot onion omelette with soy sauce and pepper on the table, so that everyone can help themselves and season to their liking!

carrots and onions lend a sweet, savoury deliciousness to this omelette.

25 comments:

  1. I love this! Rustic is just the way I like it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you mean by you do not need a recipe for these things? You do know that many students out there do not even know the proper way to break an egg, right? well, that's what my friends always complain to me - the difficulty of cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly, I do need a recipe, because I crossed omelettes off my "to-make" list when I was eight and my dad made me a kidney omelette :P I'm still recovering...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's an ideal breakfast, looks too good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Maria and Umm Mymoonah. :D

    Michelle, you make a good point!

    Hannah - kidney omelette? I'm not averse to offal, but even I can't help but wrinkle my nose a little at the thought of that... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is absolutely simple but soooo delicious! Mmmmm~ Gotta make this soon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have always liked omelette, especially the ones with onion, they're always so aromatic...:)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this reminds me of an indian carrot omelette that I used to love so much. Simple but so tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Veggie omelets are really some of my favorites... so simple and so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always enjoy such a recipe (or I call it an idea?)...I bought a lot of carrots lately - maybe I can try this omelette too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds easy and delicious-I love this kind of omelette, where there is more filling than egg. :) Beautiful pictures, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thts a filling breakfast...looks yum!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the flavour. So fresh and full of veg.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It actually looks really delicious. I've never thought of pairing carrots and eggs...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I actually never thought about putting carrots with an omelette but now I'm wondering why it never crossed my mind - looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for your kind words, everyone. And to those who haven't tried pairing carrot with eggs before, I hope I've inspired you to make your own carrot omelette! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have never had carrot in an omelette before, and now you really have me wondering why not - looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love simple recipes! I actually really want to make this now!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I tend to add onions to my omelettes...it really adds a nice flavor but carrots is new. Gotta try that next time i make omlette.
    And your last picture with the closeup is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love having a bunch of simple recipes on hand and this one sounds absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks Trix, Iris, Cakewhiz and Joanne! Would love to hear feedback if any of you try it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. sounds yummy...love d flavor..
    first time here..interesting recipe collections you have..
    happy to follow u..
    do stop by mine sometime..:)
    Tasty appetite

    ReplyDelete
  23. It looks delicious! I'm going to make this recipe today :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey thanks for sharing with us for this amazing information with us. you can visit here for premium eggs, best eggs, high quality eggs and ise suzuki eggs.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails