Sunday, 10 October 2010

strawberry grapefruit thyme compote

strawberries, grapefruit and thyme - bought on a whim at the market because they were so cheap!
Who knew making compote was so ridiculously easy? Certainly not me, until recently when I discovered how little time and effort it took, and actually gave it a go myself. The following is the recipe for a strawberry, grapefruit and thyme compote, because those were the ingredients I happened to have sitting around, but feel free to create your own special concoction!


250g strawberries, hulled and halved (I quartered the massive ones)
segments of one small grapefruit (remove pith before using, as they can be quite bitter - I removed the membranes as well)
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon mead (optional)
a few sprigs fresh thyme

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. That's pretty much it!

The scent of strawberries and thyme when I made this was intoxicating. I was happy with the end result too - the sweetness of the strawberries was wonderful, as was the perfume from the thyme, and there was just a hint of tartness from the grapefruit.

You can serve this warm or cool, with crepes, pancakes, toast, muesli, yoghurt, waffles, ice cream and more. I stored my strawberry compote in a jar in the fridge and for the next few days I gave it a good workout - I first had it on French toast for breakfast, and on subsequent days paired it with vanilla bean ice cream for dessert. Yum!

my strawberry grapefruit thyme compote


  1. Yum yum... makes me feel all so summery.

  2. It's all gone now. So good with ice cream... I'm definitely making more! :D

  3. I love compote precisely for its easiness. And of course, its deliciousness.
    The flavor combination of yours sounds great!

  4. oh yay so simple, definitely a bookmark =), making that on sunday LOL

  5. Yay I hope it turns out well for you! :)

  6. Looks delicious! I reckon even I could make that!


Related Posts with Thumbnails