|a slice of grey pumpkin|
approximately 500g pumpkin, cubed (the smaller the cubes, the faster it will cook)
2 tablespoons raw sugar
1 tablespoon blackstrap molasses
1 tablespoon butter (optional - omit for a lighter and vegan version)
juice of 1 small lemon
toasted almond flakes, for mixing in or sprinkling on top
spices, to taste (I only had cinnamon, but other popular spices that go with pumpkin are nutmeg, ginger, cloves, allspice)
- Put pumpkin cubes, butter, raw sugar, blackstrap molasses, lemon juice and spices together in a pot.
- Bring to a simmer and cover, stirring occasionally.
- When the pumpkin is soft enough, mash it up with a fork or puree in a blender or food processor.
- The pumpkin jam is ready to eat now if you like! Or you can continue along with the following steps...
- Preheat oven to 190c/375F.
- Put pumpkin mixture in a baking dish and bake, uncovered, for about 15 minutes.
- Mix in the toasted almond flakes or sprinkle on top of the jam before serving.
- It's best served hot!
|use like pumpkin jam and spread on toast...|
|or treat it as pumpkin mash with crispy fried bacon on top!|