Pages

Monday 5 December 2011

balsamic thyme mushroom & potato fry-up

I like to make myself a good brunch on Fridays.

You see, I don't work on Fridays. I'm all relaxed... I potter around the kitchen, and I really get in touch with my ingredients.

I'll take the time to breathe in the scent of thyme.

I'll lick a bit of balsamic reduction off my fingers.

There are certainly plenty of things for which I can be thankful on Fridays.

balsamic thyme mushroom & potato fry-up.

This pan-fried mushroom and potato dish with shallot, thyme and balsamic vinegar... it's one of those things. It's vegan, but the mushrooms provide a meaty component to the dish, and it's gluten-free, but the potato satisfies those carb cravings. The shallots are deliciously charred, the thyme fragrant, the balsamic vinegar sweetly acidic.

Hearty, yet not too heavy. Robust, yet still quite gentle. My kind of brunch.

some of the ingredients...

pan-fried mushrooms and potatoes with shallot, thyme and balsamic vinegar

2 - 3 tablespoons olive oil
1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
1 French shallot (60g), thinly sliced
1 medium potato (150g), thinly sliced
10 small-to-medium button mushrooms (150g), sliced in half
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Heat up a couple tablespoons olive oil over medium heat and fry the garlic, shallot and potatoes.
When the potatoes start to char a little around the edges, put in mushrooms, balsamic vinegar and thyme leaves. Slosh in an extra tablespoon of olive oil, too, and even a little bit of water, if the pan looks too dry.
Stir-fry until mushrooms soften, then season to taste with salt and pepper. If desired, add an extra dash of balsamic vinegar and a sprinkling of fresh thyme.
Try this with toast... perhaps with a gently cooked egg encasing a perfectly runny yolk. And it doesn't just have to be for brunch or breakfast, of course. It would also make a great side with your other main meals!

pan-fried mushrooms and potatoes with shallot, thyme and balsamic vinegar.

35 comments:

  1. You are so lucky not to have to work on Fridays!I love mushrooms in any form and this looks beautiful. I might have to make this my Saturday brunch....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't work on Fridays either. Convenient, as I'm thinking I want to go to your house for brunch...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Anna! The trade-off is that I have to work on Sundays. :p

    Perhaps we can take turns going to each other's houses for brunch on Fridays, movita beaucoup. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every one of those ingredients speaks to me. I feel like I can smell the delicious fragrance that filled your kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, you don't work on Fridays. Nice! Well, potatoes for brunch are just about the best thing in the world, and this looks delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll have to try this recipe! It sounds delicious on a cold winter day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought you might like this, Sarah. Thyme has such a beautiful fragrance, doesn't it?

    Thanks Trix! Indeed, Fridays are my Saturdays.

    Thanks S, let me know if you do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i think this would work well with pumpkin too. not a huge fan of potatoes... unless its yam or sweet potatoes... hehe

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mouth is watering over that recipe! Maybe brunch this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am SO IN. I always forget how much I love mushrooms, but I never forget my love of balsamic and thyme :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Michelle, feel free to use your starchy root vegetable of choice - I love the good old potato! ;)

    Thanks Lisa. Hurrah for weekend brunches! :D

    Yay Hannah! They are all such lovely ingredients. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's amazing! And the perfect side-dish to the steak I am having for dinner tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm on break now, but I didn't have uni on Fridays in my last semester so Fridays were also my 'make something nice' days :D The flavours in this sound so good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Foodycat! Yes I think that will go nicely too, especially with the cold weather where you are right now. It's got the comfort factor.

    Thanks Von. I do so love 'make something nice' days. Such a satisfying way to reset myself.

    ReplyDelete
  15. wao wee! this dish has got ALL my favourite veg + herbs all in one! and i LOVE reducing my balsamic vinegar but never thought of other options to pair it with besides salads until now! thanks so much for sharing yet another great idea, leaf. i really am enjoying them and feel very inspired by your vegan/gluten free dishes. helps me balance out my meals much more and make me try out new things besides my plain old salads on the side. YUMMY! =D

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never thought of using mushrooms to give that meaty component to a dish. Hmmmm interesting. Looks good and hearty indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous flavours and photos. I love the combination of mushrooms and thyme so this dish looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Winston! Yay for another idea you can add to your repertoire!

    Fatbooo, while they don't taste the same as meat I find mushrooms to be juicy and substantial and nice to chew on, hence a certain meaty feeling - it also helps that I love mushrooms. :D

    Thanks thelittleloaf! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear leaf,

    This looks like one of those delicious and rustic Jamie Oliver backyard jobs. Love the combination of thyme and potatoes though

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ooooh, leaf, you shouldn't be showing all the things you do with a mushroom. This is bound to make a Frenchwoman like me swoon. This dish is just so YUMMY!
    And yay for Fridays. If you cook like that, I'm all for it!
    Take care! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love love lvoe mushrooms and would certainly die for this dish ... absolutely :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. that sounds like me on a sunday (: the mushrooms sound delicious. i love love love mushrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks Anh, Chopinand, Ayden, Marie-Anne, msihua, and Shu Han for your lovely comments! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. aaaahh, I'd love not to work Fridays. But you di bring up some good points- I'm such in a rush these days I forget to really take the time to appreciate the ingredients. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yum. Mushrooms are great and so good for you:) Oh and with egg :O Mmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  26. Potatoes and muschrooms combination is awesome. This dish can be too perfect for weekend brunch:-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. This sounds delicious. A little char on the potatoes and the vinegar must really create great flavor. I'm so happy to have discovered your blog and this post.

    ReplyDelete
  28. You don't work on Fridays? Gah I'm so jealous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. My two favourite breakfast sides! I am eating buttered garlic mushrooms right now!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Looks delicious and so easy as well. Will need to give this recipe a go soon!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great photos and recipe! I love mushrooms!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails