|an easy carrot and onion omelette.|
I know, I know. This is but a mere vegetable omelette. And so simple, you probably don't even need the recipe. Still, this homely dish, with its effortlessly natural mix of sweet and savoury, never fails to put a smile on my face. My mum tends to serve this carrot onion omelette with rice or congee for lunch or dinner, but you can easily adopt it as a breakfast omelette as well. Back home in Malaysia, I always reach for my share of this omelette eagerly when mum puts it on the family dining table, so today I'm sharing it with you.
carrot onion omelette
1 small carrot
1 small onion
4 large eggs
1/4 teaspoon salt
oil, for frying
soy sauce and pepper, to taste
- Julienne carrot and onion, or just slice them into similarly sized strips.
- Lightly whisk the eggs and salt in a bowl with a fork.
- Continue along the following steps, either using all the mixture to make one big omelette, or dividing into batches to make 2 - 4 smaller omelettes.
- In a frying pan, sauté carrot and onion in a little oil for 3 - 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Spread the carrot and onion pieces evenly across the pan.
- Pour the egg mixture over the carrots and onions, swirl to coat the pan more evenly.
- Fry for 2 or 3 minutes until set, then flip over and continue to cook for 1 minute.
- Serve carrot onion omelette with soy sauce and pepper on the table, so that everyone can help themselves and season to their liking!
|carrots and onions lend a sweet, savoury deliciousness to this omelette.|