|Pears and ginger... a sensual match.|
pear and ginger rice pudding (serves 4 - 6)
1/2 cup uncooked rice, rinsed and drained
2.5 cups soy milk (preferably organic)
1.5 cups water
1 piece (5cm / 2 inches) ginger, sliced
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 cup raw sugar (more if you like it sweet)
soft ripe pears, sliced or cut into chunks, for topping
- Place rice, soy milk, water, sliced ginger and salt in a saucepan and bring to boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer, stirring.
- Cook for about 40 minutes, partially covered, checking and stirring at intervals until liquid is reduced and rice is thickened and tender. If it gets too dry, add in a little more water or soy milk.
- Add the sugar, and if you like, at this point you may also add in some pear. Bring mixture to boil again for 2 minutes, stirring, then remove from heat and let cool. Discard sliced ginger.
- You may serve this warm or cold. If you opt for the latter, like I did, cover and chill in the refrigerator for a few hours.
- When ready to serve, spoon into bowls and top liberally with fresh pear. I thought a sprinkling of nuts such as almonds would also go well with this, but unfortunately I didn't have any!
|an easy vegan pear and ginger rice pudding.|