Pages

Wednesday 3 April 2013

coconut rhubarb ice pops / icy poles (vegan)

coconut rhubarb icy pole / ice pop / popsicle.

In Australia we are lucky to have rhubarb available almost all year round. While I feel I should really have produced an ice cream recipe for summer, it's never too late, especially since it's still only mid-autumn, wouldn't you agree? For those of you on the other side of the world, I believe rhubarb is in season now that it's spring, so I hope this works out to be a timely post for all.

In this ice pop recipe, I combine stewed rhubarb with coconut milk for a nicely tangy, gently creamy result. It's simple but something a little different. Try it and let me know what you think...

fresh rhubarb.

coconut rhubarb ice pops
(makes 4 - 6, depending on size of molds)


180g / 6oz / 1.5 cups chopped rhubarb stalks (leaves and ends removed)
1/4 cup raw sugar (or to taste)
2 tablespoons orange juice (may be substituted with another sweet acidic juice, e.g. apple juice, pineapple juice)
2/3 cup coconut milk (I prefer full-fat)
1/4 cup water

Plonk the rhubarb, sugar and citrus juice (if using) in a saucepan. Cook over a medium high heat until it starts to bubble, then turn the heat down to let it simmer, partially covered, until soft, between 5 - 10 minutes.
Blend the rhubarb mixture together with coconut milk and water together until smooth. Do a taste test and add more sugar if desired - give it another thorough blend if doing so.
Pour the rhubarb ice cream batter into ice pop molds.
Freeze until firm - I usually just freeze overnight and start eating the next day. :)

coconut rhubarb popsicle. i took a bite! and finished the whole thing after taking the photo, of course.

26 comments:

  1. That sounds lovely! And what a beautiful colour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the tart/mellow flavor mashup here. Just right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yas, I do love the tart/mellow combination. :)

      Delete
  3. rhubarb all year round, lucky you! here only a few people know about that freaky pinky vegetable-fruit :-)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha yes! We're pretty lucky over here for things like that.

      Delete
  4. It snowed here again yesterday. A part of me doesn't believe it will ever be warm ice-pop weather here, ever ever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nom. My Mum always used to make stewed rhubarb and rice pudding. Your pops look awesome. I found yellow rhubarb the other day. So yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! I'll have to keep an eye out for yellow rhubarb. :D

      Delete
  6. A little while ago I discovered coconut milk frozen treat things at costco, what a fabulous idea to do it at home! I've never gone out of my way to really have rhubarb, but I've always liked it when I've come across it, so I should probably make friends with it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I quite like using coconut milk or coconut cream in frozen treats. And I always enjoy a bit of tart rhubarb too!

      Delete
  7. YUM! it's such a beautiful colour, and looks really good! pity it's so cold here right now (especially today!), i thought we were going to have an extended summer for a little bit! xxx

    http://andgeesaid.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know... autumn isn't exactly too cold to eat ice cream! ;)

      Delete
  8. Sounds and looks lovely.. makes me shiver in this cold though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come on, we're still getting 20-something degrees celsius here and there, not too shabby at all! ;)

      Delete
  9. Such vibrant stalks, I just love rhubarb season!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These sound dreamy and look so pretty. I am happy to eat icecream all year round!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I can even enjoy ice cream in winter, as long as I'm well-insulated and it is a rich, comforting flavour. Yum.

      Delete
  11. yum yum yum!! I love ice cream in winter as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There is beautiful rhubarb starting to arrive at Borough market- I love the idea of combining it with coconut- sometimes I do in the topping for a crumble- but this is just gorgeous- thank you! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, tori! The rhubarb-coconut combination is indeed quite lovely.

      Delete
  13. I love rhubarb and have heaps growing in my garden, so this is a great dish for me. Yummo!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails