Pages

Sunday 21 November 2010

preserved mandarin sorbet

preserved mandarin sorbet


If you are familiar with Chinese sweets, you may know about preserved mandarin/tangerine peel. It's similar to what some call crack seed snacks. This sweet and salty preserved fruit candy is a childhood favourite of mine. For November's salt-themed International Incident Party hosted by Jeroxie, I decided to go with this preserved mandarin peel idea. I thought about just making the sweet itself, but midway through, changed my mind, skipped the drying process and made a sorbet instead!

The brand of preserved mandarin peel I grew up with is Jiabao, so I had a look at their list of ingredients first to check what I would need to reproduce a similar flavour. I then came up with the following recipe(s)...

mandarin peels in salt solution. this was before the addition of sugar and licorice root powder.

Note: If mandarins aren't in season, oranges should be a serviceable substitute.

preserved mandarin peel

- thin pieces of peel from one big mandarin/tangerine
- 1/2 tablespoon coarse salt (I used coarse sea salt with no additives)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons mandarin juice
- 1 teaspoon licorice root powder

Pack mandarin peel in a small jar. (take care to use jars that won't corrode with acid and salt. I used a glass jar with a plastic lid.)

Add salt to the peels, then mandarin juice. The peels should be all submerged in the liquid. Shake to dissolve some of the salt.

Leave in a cool dark place at room temperature and shake the jar a couple times a day (or more often if you like!).

After a few days, retrieve peel from jar, still leaving the salt solution in the jar.

Bring to boil then simmer the peel in 1/2 cup water, 1 teaspoon licorice root powder and 1 tablespoon sugar until the liquid is reduced to approximately a quarter, i.e. 1/8 cup or 2 tablespoons of thick syrup.

Add the peel and licorice sugar syrup back to the jar with the salt solution. I let it cool before putting the lid back on and then stored it for several more days in the fridge, letting the flavours seep in.

So that's my very small portion of preserved mandarin peel. You can probably even use the syrup like a cordial and make iced drinks with it. Or, continue on like I did, and make the sorbet!

this refreshing mandarin sorbet will even replenish your electrolytes!

salted mandarin sorbet with preserved mandarin peel

1 + 1/2 cups mandarin juice
1/4 cup caster sugar
the salty-sweet peels and syrup from the recipe above
1 tablespoon triple sec (optional)

In a saucepan combine 1/2 cup mandarin juice and all the sugar and simmer, stirring until all dissolved, and remove from heat. Add to the rest of the mandarin juice.

Blend/process/chop the salty-sweet peels until they are tiny pieces. Add into the sugary mandarin juice.
Add 1 tablespoon triple sec as well, if using.

Slowly add in the salty-sweet preserving syrup, stirring, until the balance of sweet and salty flavours are to your liking - you can use just some of it, or you can use it all.

Freeze the concoction in an ice cream maker, if you have one. I didn't, so went the old-fashion route by beating the mixture up every few hours. I'm yet to perfect the art of making a smooth sorbet without an ice cream maker, as you can see from the pictures. However, I'm still patting myself on the back for this creation. The sorbet does have that preserved mandarin peel flavour to it and it was sweet, salty and refreshing. Mission accomplished!

salted mandarin sorbet with preserved mandarin peel

my fellow salt partiers!

28 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard of this before but I love the idea. Looks so refreshing too, as I sit here sweltering in my kitchen :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my favorite things to eat as a child as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very grown-up take on a childhood favorite! I hope Santa sends me an ice-cream maker!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I've seen it all - salted mandarin sorbet sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mouth is watering now. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks so perfect! Especially for today's wonderfully sunny weather!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great way to use fruit on a summer day!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum, it looks soo good. And refreshing..mmmmmm need some now to quench my thirst!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone! It was so much fun re-inventing a favourite childhood snack. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am not familiar with this, but would really love to try it. I can imagine how refreshing the sorbet would be, esp. on a hot day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've done the preserved lemons, but this looks great! Then making a sorbet! Excellent job! I think I am going to have to experiment with more preserved citrus fruits!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is beyond original, I love it. Very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  13. awsome and creative sorbet!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, I am familiar with those..and my cousins were absolutely addicted those little tiny preserved plums and loved them more than American candy.
    The sorbet sounds terrific :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh cool! I never would have thought to turn it into a sorbet - good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks everyone for your very lovely words! <3

    ReplyDelete
  17. You may have to save this for me till summer cos it is too cold to have this now :( ...though the idea of preserved mandarin sorbet sounds sweet-tangy perfect for my taste buds ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a nice sorbet treat, love it, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! This looks super refreshing and how creative of you to pair mandarins with salt. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks tigerfish, Medifast Coupons and Sanjana! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This sorbet sounds really excellent, what a creative unique idea!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very unique! And will be a nice thirst quencher as well. Smart. Very smart! have to be one of my favourite ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks 5 Star Foodie, Lisa and Penny for your kind compliments! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I bought the mandarin peels in Chinatown and as I expected, it's not really my favorite, but I thought I could use it in some recipe. This sounds very interesting, even if I (obviously) don't have the syrup.

    You can make perfectly smooth ice cream without an ice cream maker by just freezing it solid, letting thaw a bit and then blending. I'm not sure if that would work with a sorbet or if would just melt... I do prefer my sorbet a bit on the icy side, though, it's not even supposed to be creamy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess mandarin peels can be an acquired taste for some! You can try making tea with it perhaps, even? Just a wild suggestion, I've not tried that but it would be an easy way to use them.
      Thanks for your tips on making sorbet. :)

      Delete
  25. its soooo freakin addictive but if u eat too much ur hair will fall out but its so yum with the sugr and stuff byitself its sooo addicting i have like a couple or day but yeh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you talking about preserved mandarin peel? Hmm, interesting, that. I guess it's a good thing I don't eat too much. ;)

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails